Thursday, February 20, 2014

Wabi Sabi

I came across the Japanese concept of Wabi Sabi, while reading a karate discussion group link over Himself's shoulder. (Himself is a 4th degree black belt)

The principles of Wabi Sabi are: nothing is permanent, nothing is perfect, and nothing is complete. While the karate people were discussing this concept  in terms of perfecting their forms, I found it related to my art. So many times facing a sheet of white paper was daunting. What would happen if I made a mark, but it was a mistake, and I wrecked the paper?

Wabi Sabi was a breath of fresh air. It removed the fear and worry, and replaced it with freedom. As I practiced my art, I would continue to grow. I could aspire to perfection, but never worry I never would achieve it. That was okay.

To every thing, there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven. - Ecclesiastes 3, KJV

No comments: